Wednesday, March 27, 2013

poetry session


We Survive.


Does it hurt you more
Than it hurts me
To call me a bitch under your breath
While crossing the street…
Or rather, over the phone
Over a computer screen to save face
Where you stay within your
Cowardice space…
Making complaints about
What I did or did not say
What I wore the night before
Or the choices that I’ve made to avoid your callous pathways
I get it
It’s rather easy
To slander my femininity
Without having a sense of accountability
To reach for far lesser inferior meanings
From what it is and what it’s like…
What it means to be a queen

Does it hurt you more
Than it hurts me
To call me a ho just to aggress
Gearing up for war
Stabbing spears in my heart
And aiming bullets at my chest
Burning scarlet letters on my breast
These same breasts that nursed your sons
That provided nourishment in pure excess
These same breasts that you sucked, licked and caressed
That possess the suppleness and the raw
That express a rise and a fall
Whether I assess to ride dicks or walk tall
That same movement now suppressed
When required to wear a bra

Does it hurt you more
Than it hurts me
To see me and view me as
A cavity to deposit seeds
Seeping from your phallic physicality
Bearing sons to promote family name longevity
While miscarrying daughters
Wiping away, decimating matriarchal legacy
Do you realize what it's like?
To possess the powerful ability
To harness life
Two beings, one shell
Individual yet indivisible
Does it hurt you more than it hurts me?
I think not.
When you're being laid upon that table
Being told you won't feel a thing
When really the emotions inside
Mimic the instruments
That cut away and scrape in quick and succinct
Ways and motions
Vacuuming up remnants of a being that was to become your own
Fuck the arguments of stages: multi-cellular organism vs. embryo vs. human
You were my own
And for whatever reason
Were taken away from me
You were my own
And ironically,
This table...
This tidal zone of emotions,
Where other women exercise their freedom of choice
Is the same place where I come to wear the burden of mine
The burden of not having to choose you…
My own

Does it hurt you more than it hurts me?
I don’t think so.
Because we... transpose…
There is pain behind everything that is beautiful
And wherever there is pain there is strength
And whatever strength I uphold comes from a previous beautiful struggle
Yes…
We women struggle
But whatever the platform of
Degenerate interjections
It will always fall on no longer deaf ears
But open hearts and fruitful minds...
That house revolutionary cadence
To which we hold our heads high
We steady the pace
While still maintaining grace
Take care of living spaces
While STILL working a 9 to 5

Yes…
We women struggle
And better yet…
We survive.


-j.sanjuan

12 comments:

  1. Words escaped me at first...then the only and befitting single, jaw dropping term I could think of...was WOW! This piece harnesses so much pain, growth and hope! In the time you've been away, you've had the opportunity to evolve as a poet...and woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those three things: Pain, growth and hope, are the exact things that I've been going through these past few months. Thank you for your words, and thank you for reading and commenting, hun.

      Delete
  2. nice....really great progression in this...you build to wonderful intensity...def spoken word material as well....love that behind beauty is pain and pain, strength....def feel the hope in the end though...good stuff....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, a pleasure to hear from you again.
      Spoken word is definitely the direction I'm headed. Thank you for your comment and for reading.

      Delete
  3. Welp, I'm speechless. This piece stirred anger, pain, hope and strength. Love the intensity and the cadence. You're one fierce poetess! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly am touched by your thoughts. Thank you. Much love to you... :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is so powerful~hits you so hard, emotionally. Beautifully painful poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading. Took me a while to get to this place. It was freeing for me to write it. Blessings...

      Delete
  5. Fantastic. It's almost impossible to suppress the visceral reactions this piece invokes. Very, very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words and taking the time to read and comment. Much love. :)

      Delete
  6. June,

    I have been away- lost in my busyness and doubt. But today I am back- reading the writers and poets that I have come to treasure, which of course brings me to you.

    This work astounds me. I am a very good writer but I could not create a work that expresses this mix of passion, anger, wisdom and expresses it in such a rhythmic and flowing way- it is writing that nearly goes off the rails but then doesn't. It's just irresistible. I'm in awe of the work.

    I'm also heartbroken as I feel the images of violent subordination. Tears and anger all mix together.

    Thank you for creating and sharing this work. The creative process must have been painful and difficult for you. But what emerged is wondrous.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom,
      Thank you again for your words and your undying support.

      Yes, the creative process was cathartic, as this has been my first real full poem I've written since a life-changing event has occurred in my life. I am so happy and emancipated that I decided to be patient with my feelings, to process them and have them come out in this piece the way that it did. Mind you, it was hard to not just write about anything and everything I was going through, but that wasn't my authentic creative route.

      Again, thank you for reading and your words.

      June

      Delete