Friday, November 10, 2017

poetry session - 11/10


the phone call


Numb to the words
When I learned of your passing
I tried to muster up emotions
But couldn’t feel them crashing down on me
You were a fleeting role
Of a permanent soul
A rolling stone
The first one to teach me
How to stonewall whenever I was hurt
The years had passed
But the pain never lessened
The numbness turned to anger
And anger into depression
But I rose up... and I learned my lessons
I healed my wounds
And I forgave your transgressions
I never accepted this as an excuse but
Because the truth of the matter is
You were only doing
What you thought you knew was truth
You were moving from a place
Where a lack of love,
Caused you to fear love... and in response...
Caused you to run away from us...
And it’s because of this...
I stand in love for you
I remain in remembrance
Of the strength and courage of you...
Know that your daughter
Still thinks of you
In subtle ways
But know that that one phone call
Changed me for the better
In all ways... always...


-j.jimenez


No comments:

Post a Comment